Monday, January 9, 2017

Mindful - Day 8 Lobsters and Wallpaper

This is a repeat of the poem by Mary Oliver  that is inspiring me to be more observant everyday followed by the interesting sign I saw.

Mindful –
Every Day I see and hear something that more or less kills me with delight, that leaves me like a needle in the haystack of light. It is what I was born for – to look, to listen, to lose myself inside this soft world – to instruct myself over and over in joy, and acclamation. Nor am I talking about the exceptional, the fearful, the dreadful, the very extravagant- but of the ordinary, the common, the very drab, the daily presentations. Oh good scholar, I day to myself, how can you help but grow wise with such teachings as these- the untrimmable light of the world, the oceans shine, the prayers that are made out of grass?

I see this sign along the street and any number of ideas pop into my head - are we talking about wallpaper with lobsters on it? do you get a live lobster when you buy wallpaper? is all the wallpaper about lobsters? are these 2 businesses sharing a space which seems really odd? or.... so on and so on. Sometimes you will never find out the answer, in this case, because the light changed, but it is good for the brain to have something different to think about.

No comments:

Post a Comment